Thursday, October 21, 2021

Baked Chicken Cacciatore

It was a rainy, miserable day that matched my mood.  I had defrosted some bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs and this is what I decided on for dinner.

  • 9 chicken thighs, S&P'd, browned in olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced
  • 10 mini sweet peppers, sliced lengthwise
  • 1 parsnip, peeled and diced (poor thing was forgotten from Thanksgiving dinner and was supposed to be in my turkey soup.  ☹ )
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 796 ml can D.O.P. San Marzano tomatoes, squished by hand
  • 398 ml can organic tomato sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Calabrian chili crunch
  • 1 tablespoon freeze dried Italian herb spice
  • 1 tablespoon freeze dried basil
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Fresh Italian parsley, for garnish
  • Asiago cheese, grated for serving

I coated a 9" x 13" baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.  I preheated the oven to 350°F.  I browned the thighs in a skillet and transferred them to the casserole dish.  


I sautéed the onions, garlic, celery, Calabrian chilies, parsnips and peppers next then deglazed the pan with wine.  


I simmered until reduced by half.  I added in the tomatoes, sauce and seasonings.  I brought it up to a boil and then poured it over the chicken.  


I covered with foil and baked for a 30 minutes.  I removed the foil and baked for another half hour.  I served over pappardelle pasta.  I garnished with cheese and parsley.  


I would have added olives had my son liked them, but this was pleasing comfort food for today.  Even the parsnips tasted good in it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment