Thursday, October 14, 2021

Japanese Fried Rice

I'm calling this Japanese fried rice because I used a medium grain Japanese rice to make it.  I also used Japanese Kewpie Mayonnaise in it.  I really like that stuff, probably because it has MSG in it, but I find it really creamy and tasty.  The first 2 recipes I looked at for Japanese fried rice both included it.  Other than that, this is pretty much the same as I'd make my regular fried rice.  I use whatever is in the fridge/house at the time to assemble it together.

  • 4 cups Kokuho Rose rice, cooked to package directions and cooled
  • 2 tablespoons Japanese Kewpie Mayo
  • Grapeseed oil, as needed
  • 1 medium onion, diced small
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup real bacon crumbles
  • Couple large handfuls organic baby spinach
  • Bunch of green onions, chopped
  • 7 large cooked prawns, cut into pieces
  • 2 organic eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup soya sauce, and more for serving
  • White pepper, to taste
  • 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded

When I mixed the mayo with the warm rice the grains separated beautifully and I thought that was a good thing to do!  I put it in the fridge until dinner time.



I heated grapeseed oil in my wok and when smoking hot I added in the onion, garlic and bacon.  When the onions were cooked through and soft I added the spinach.  


When wilted I added the rice, green onions, prawns, soya sauce and pepper.  When everything was incorporated well and heated, I pushed the rice back to half the wok and scrambled the eggs.  I mixed again and stirred in the lettuce.  Time to serve.  


The rice was very tasty and we enjoyed it a lot.  I used a lot of pepper and I think it needed it for a spicy bite.  I also really liked the lettuce, it went well with this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment