Monday, October 18, 2021

Ras el Hanout Lamb Shanks with Prunes and Pearl Couscous

I have always wanted to try the spice "Ras el Hanout".  I picked some up at a local gourmet shop in town.  I had some antibiotic/hormone free grass fed lamb shanks in my freezer from a local farm and thought this would be suitable to use with it.  This is what I created:

  • 4 lamb shanks, coated with flour and S&P
  • 1 large sweet onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large carrot, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced
  • 3 tablespoons Ras el Hanout spice mix
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • Few sprigs fresh thyme, tied in bundle
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4 "kumato" tomatoes, quartered
  • 3 cups organic "Better than Bouillon" low-sodium vegetable stock
  • 200 grams pitted prunes
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, for finishing
  • Olive oil, as needed
  • Fresh Italian parsley, chopped coarsely for garnish

I started by browning/searing the floured, S&P'd lamb shanks in my enamel coated cast iron Dutch oven with some olive oil.  


I put them on a plate after while I sautéed the garlic, onion, carrot and celery.  


I added the Ras el Hanout and combined until it smelled heavenly in the kitchen.  


I put in the shanks, cinnamon stick, thyme, bay leaves, tomatoes, broth, prunes and S&P.  The sauce wasn't as thick as I wanted so I added a flour slurry.  I brought to a boil, covered and simmered for 3 & 1/2 hours in a 200°F oven.  The last hour I added in 1 cup of couscous with a handful of chopped fresh parsley.  


When the timer went off I removed the cinnamon stick, bay leaves and thyme bundle.  I stirred in the sherry vinegar.  I seasoned with S&P and served.  I garnished with more parsley.  


Honestly, to me, besides the warm spice taste, the prunes were just amazing in this - sweetness in a most harmonious way!  Melting prunes are just out of this world in a stew.  The lamb fell off the bones, I didn't even get to serve the first dish (above) with a bone in it...


OMG, this was soooo fantastic!  If I was to change anything, I would add a bit of honey with the sherry vinegar.  Other than that, this was divine.  Absolutely mouthwatering happiness with cleaned bowls, nothing left!  😋

No comments:

Post a Comment