Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Crock Pot: Chicken and Dumplings

I saw this on social media and for some reason I wanted to make it.  I had to pull out my crock pot which I've never really liked.  I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much, but I did want to try it.  I detest peas so used edamame in its place for my adaptation of the recipe.

  • 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (patted dry)
  • 1 can "Campbells" cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can "Campbells" cream of celery soup
  • 2 cups organic low-sodium "Better than Bouillon" chicken stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 large carrot, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 300 gram frozen bag of cooked organic edamame, shelled (mukimame)
  • 1 can "Pillsbury" country biscuits
  • Fresh Italian parsley, coarsely chopped, to taste
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste


In the crockpot, I scattered the onions, celery and carrot and butter over the bottom of the dish.  


I added the chicken pieces and seasoned with cracked pepper.  


I mixed the soups,  seasoning, cracked pepper and bay leaves and spread over the top.  I poured the broth in.  I covered and set the timer for 6 hours, 30 minutes on high.



At five hours, I rolled each biscuit flat and cut into 4 strips.  



I shelled the edamame and mixed it into the crock pot as I shredded the chicken with 2 forks.  I had a taste and was pleasantly surprised, it tasted really good.  Finally I combined the biscuits in and covered again.  


I let this go until the biscuits were cooked through, stirring once.  They were done an hour and fifteen minutes later.  I removed the bay leaves and added in the parsley.  I mixed one final time.  I served garnished with more parsley and S&P.  


Well I have to say that this was terrific, especially being done in a crock pot.  We enjoyed it a lot and was pure comfort food on this rainy fall day.  I'd for sure do it again for the ease of it even with the processed ingredients.  That being said, I'd make homemade dumplings instead next time.  The refrigerator dough was okay though.  I half expected it not to cook but it did...

No comments:

Post a Comment