Sunday, October 24, 2021

Instant Pot: Spicy Black Bean Soup with Smoky Bison Sausages

I saw this on Food Network one time and wanted to give it a try so I based my recipe on it.  I soaked my beans overnight just to make sure, but with an instant pot you probably don't have to.  I just didn't want any surprises.  I remember in the show she said lard was a must for this and I bought it for this recipe.  She said it made a great difference to the flavor profile (paraphrasing as it's been a while since I watched it).

  • 1/4 cup lard
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 1 large sweet onion, diced 
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced (I realized after the lid was sealed that I forgot to add this!)
  • 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced with seeds and innards
  • 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder 
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin 
  • 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 2 cup dried black beans 
  • 5 cups organic low-sodium "Better than Bouillon" vegetable broth
  • 2 limes, juiced, and wedges, for serving
  • 3 green onions, sliced for garnish
  • Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped coarsely for garnish
  • Spicy fresh salsa, for garnish
  • Sour cream, for garnish
  • 5 smoky bison sausages, broiled and sliced 


On the instant pot, press the sauté function. Add the lard, garlic, onion, bell pepper (if you don't forget it like I did), chilies in adobo and jalapeno. Cook until the vegetables are soft. Sprinkle in the chili powder, cumin, paprika and S&P.  Stir and cook for about a minute. 




Add the beans and pour in the broth.  Put on the lid and set the valve to sealing. Set to pressure cook on manual for 45 minutes.  Once the cycle is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then release the steam using quick release.  Remove lid.  Add lime juice. Using an immersion blender or potato masher, blend the soup until it is a good mix of smooth and textured. Add the cooked sausages in and mix well.  Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. 


Serve and garnish with green onions, cilantro, salsa and sour cream.


Whew - this was SPICY!  That's what I was after so I'm not complaining.  The sour cream was really needed for the mild cooling action it provided.  This bowl had really great flavor that was palette punching in every spoonful.  We really enjoyed the smokiness in the taste.  Yummy soup.  


No comments:

Post a Comment