Thursday, October 7, 2021

Honeycrisp Apple and Feta Salad

I saw this salad on social media and I could not stop thinking about it.  I tried a Honeycrisp apple first, to see if I liked it enough to make the salad and I did.  Wow, extremely yummy apple!  Haven't tasted an apple as good in quite some time which is why I'm guessing they're twice the price of all the other apples...  What I used is what I had on hand to construct this today:

  • 1 cup raw pecans
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • "Maldon" flaky salt, to taste
  • 5 slices "Reinert Westphalian Ham" (found this smoked & cured treasure at Costco!)
  • 1 small bunch curly kale, torn in bite size pieces, stems removed
  • 1/2 a large container organic baby spinach
  • 2 & 1/2 Honeycrisp apples, cored and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 carrots fresh from farm, grated
  • Pomegranate arils, to taste (I used frozen and about a cup)
  • 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Apple Vinaigrette:
  • 1/3 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup organic apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 Honeycrisp apple, peeled, cored & ground in mortar & pestle until applesauce
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped
  • Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste

The oven was preheated to 350°F.  I got a large sheet pan out, laid parchment paper over then coated it lightly with olive oil spray.  


I laid the ham on one side.  I mixed the nuts/seeds with maple syrup, cayenne and cinnamon poured them on the other side.  I tossed the nuts a couple times while baking.  I lightly sprinkled Maldon salt over the nut mixture when it came out crispy, 20 minutes for me.  After it cooled, the nuts had to be broken up as they were like brittle.  


I made the dressing next.  I got a new vinaigrette bottle so it was fun to use it and it tasted delightful when combined!  Super yummy and I'm glad I spent the time to add the mashed apple.  



Lastly I washed, dried and prepped all the remaining ingredients.  I tossed the whole kit and caboodle together, seasoned with S&P and served.  


We thought this was delicious.  There was salty, sweet, heat and great textures!  The only thing I wished is that I used fresh pomegranate seeds.  The frozen ones seemed to disappear into the seed only which was disappointing and weird to bite on.  Otherwise it was a smashing success.  


No comments:

Post a Comment