Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Christine's Mock Italian Wedding Soup

So this was a "Christine" original soup today inspired by "Italian Wedding Soup".  I've had this soup on my brain for quite some time now but wanted to use escarole or curly endive for it.  For that reason, I have never made it yet.  I finally discussed finding escarole with one of my grocers as I have never seen it anywhere.  He said IF it comes in, it usually only shows up in summer but he has not gotten any for a couple of years now.  He advised me to source out local farms as it is not an import usually.

This recipe will be written as I do it and I have no idea if it will be good or not.  Fingers crossed!  :)


I got Swiss chard on sale for $1.33 a bunch so couldn't resist buying it.  I would have only bought two but the deal said "Three for $3.99" so I just did that.  Some grocery stores mean you have to fulfill the whole deal and others do not.  I didn't want to bother finding out.  I had some leftover Chinese sausage (lap cheong) in the fridge that I wanted to use up.  I had those great Harvest Grains from Trader Joe's in my cupboard so thought they would work well in a soup too.   When I make  my "real" Italian Wedding Soup, there will be no tomatoes in it - however, today I felt like them though.  The ingredients I used were:
  • 3 bunches of organic Swiss chard (long stems removed, rolled up like cigars and cut in short ribbons)
  • 4 Chinese sausages, sliced thinly on the bias and fried until crispy
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 lb of lean ground pork, for meatball mixture
  • 3/4 lb of lean ground hamburger, for meatball mixture
  • 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, for meatball mixture
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic, for meatball mixture
  • Couple pieces of French bread made into bread crumbs for meatball mixture
  • 1 egg, for meatball mixture
  • Good shake of Worcestershire sauce, for meatball mixture
  • Italian parsley, chopped for soup, meatball mixture and garnish
  • 1 cup of Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend
  • 3 small carrots from a bunch, sliced
  • 2 small stalks of celery with leaves, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon of crushed chili flakes
  • 1 box (946 ml) of Kirkland organic low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 cups of water
  • 28 oz can of San Marzano whole tomatoes (hand squished)
  • Fresh rosemary, stripped off stem and chopped
  • Fresh thyme, bundled with twine
  • Freshly cracked pepper, for meatball mixture and soup
  • Diamond Crystal kosher salt, for meatball mixture and soup
  • Parmesan cheese rind, for soup broth
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese, for meatball mixture and garnish (my "absent sous chef" son did this for me)
Whew-sigh...that's quite a list and chore regime for a weeknight!  It worked out okay as I took a couple of hours off work, so was able to get everything done in stages, like I do on weekends...

So, the first thing I did was get the ground meat mixed up and ready to make meatballs.  I just put all the dry ingredients in a food processor.  I put that in the meat, then added an egg, Parmesan and a good dash of Worcestershire sauce.


I mixed by hand till everything was incorporated and covered with saran wrap.  I put this in the fridge until I was ready to roll them.




I sliced and sauteed the Chinese sausages next and left them on a paper towel to drain.  I put them aside.

Christine's Kitchen ALERT! ALERT!  I actually got my "absent sous chef" son to roll the meatballs for me!!!  I gave him the large end of melon baller scoop so they could be consistent.  I also told him to rinse the scoop and his hands with cold water between each meatball.  He did an awesome job, as below!!!


He also made me so happy because I was seriously tired today and so appreciated the assistance.


I chopped the Swiss chard next.  It was a huge amount, but I knew, like spinach, it would disappear once it wilted down.  I chopped the herbs (below), mixed into two piles - left was for the soup, right was for garnish.


I chopped the rest of the veggies.  I got a dutch oven and splashed a quarter cup of olive oil around.  I put the onion, carrots, celery, chili flakes and garlic in.


Something that I don't normally do is saute the onions/veggies for soup but I wanted to for this one to bring more flavor since I wasn't using a "real" broth.  I sauteed until soft and seasoned with S&P.  I then added all the ingredients (including cheese rind).


I brought it to a boil, covered and low simmered for 20 minutes with the help of my timer (I was worried about the meatballs turning tough).   At 10 minutes I sampled the meatballs and they were done!  Don't put them in early like I did.  Wait until the last 10 minutes.  They were on their way to become tough, just like I feared.  :(  The chard ate a lot of the broth too, so top up with water or broth if needed...At the end, I fished out the thyme bundle and the cheese rind.


Hmmmm, well...I think I want to make the "original" recipe, lol.  This was good as in okay - my son liked it a lot.  It was anti-climactic for me, unfortunately... Two bunches of chard may have been better as it seems to have stole my broth and this ended up being more like a stew.  I'll see what I think tomorrow.  I truly am my own worst critic... Your mileage may vary...  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment