Sunday, October 16, 2016

Spicy Ginger Beef Stir Fry

I thought this recipe was pretty good looking and kept with the healthier eating I'm trying to do lately, except for the sodium.  However, everything in moderation, right?  I liked the idea of the top sirloin steak and putting it in the freezer for 30 minutes.  I had to try it... I wouldn't eat "top sirloin" as steak but I think it's a great idea for a stir fry.  I had more steak than the recipe called for.  I had about a pound and a half which was more than is what is showing below.


It chopped very nicely and easily after it came out of the freezer.  I managed to slice it in very thin strips.  I put it in a bowl covered in saran wrap and put it back in the fridge until ready to use.  I decided to serve this stir fry with jasmine white rice tonight.

For the ginger root, I used a small scoop melon baller to scrape the skin off.


I don't know where I learned that, but it is perfect for doing this job.  I had the skin off in no time.


I sliced part into matchsticks and the rest into a teeny dice.  I didn't really buy a big enough piece of ginger as I would have made more matchsticks.  I was so busy at work when I bought the ingredients Friday, I didn't have time to look at the recipe before I shopped.  In fact, I forgot three items that I had to get my son to shop for today - and of course I forgot to ask him for more ginger root.  Anyway, it wasn't going to "make or break" this dish.

I made the sauce next.  I followed the recipe instructions exactly except substituted dry vermouth for the rice wine and added a bit of the minced ginger in it too.  I also used low sodium soy sauce.

I chopped all the veggies next.  I added some white mushrooms too as I had them in the fridge.  I started with the snow peas and sliced them in half on the bias.  They weren't the best looking snow peas I've ever seen, but I was happy my son found them for me today nonetheless.






Lastly I chopped the onion.  I had the garlic, ginger and crushed chili flakes together.  I was going to put the chili in with the garlic rather than sprinkling it on top of the finished dish like the recipe called for.

I heated some avocado oil in my largest fry pan.  This pan is good for stir frying.  I fried the ginger sticks until crisp and then removed them to a paper towel.


I tasted one.  WOW - pungent!  I don't think I needed more matchsticks then the ones I had made.

I added in the beef next.  I seasoned with fresh cracked pepper.  I removed when brown with a slotted spoon.  Then I added in the onion.  I stir fried until soft.  Next I put in the garlic, ginger and chilies.  It was hard to take any pictures because the pan was so hot and a lot of steam was coming off.


After a minute or two I added in all the rest of the veggies and stir fried for about 5 minutes.  The sauce went in next after I stirred it again.  When it was bubbly hot, I added back in the beef and a container of baby spinach (142 grams or 5 oz).



This cooked for another couple of minutes and then I plated.


I garnished with the ginger matchsticks and toasted sesame seeds.   The chilies gave a nice kick.  The sauce was flavorful and not too salty.  The brown sugar balanced the salt in it.  The beef was tender, the veggies were crisp tender and this was just outright delicious.  I will for sure make this again.  There is plenty left for lunches too.  I would call dinner a definite success tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment