Saturday, October 22, 2016

Prime Rib Oven Roast

I had to search my posts to see if I had already blogged this and no, I hadn't.  That was surprising and meant I haven't made it in almost a year (or was just too lazy to write it out).  Prime Rib is expensive to buy here.  It used to be that you could find it on sale regularly but now I can only find it at $7.99 a lb when on sale, which isn't really a good deal to me.  I was very surprised when I looked at the Safeway flyer this morning and saw it for $5.99 a lb.  I decided it was time for roast beast (as "the Grinch" would say)...My son picked it up after work.


I usually buy a smaller one with 3 bones, but the one he chose was large with 2 bones this time.  I would have to roast it on its side rather than standing it up.

So, as a side note here...I always, always make Yorkshire pudding with my roast beef.  However, I probably make it with packages more than I do homemade.  It really depends on my mood.


When I do it homemade, I make it in a pie dish as one large pudding and slice it into pieces.  Today I just wanted the easy way and used package mix.  They are low carb and I never have to worry about whether they will "rise" in the oven as they always do...

I had a lot of failures doing Prime Rib when I started making them and it is an expensive loss.  I think I can mostly do a good job now - it just means not over/under-cooking it.  I let the meat come to room temperature before cooking.  I do a rub for my roast.  Today it consisted of:
  • Kirkland organic extra virgin olive oil, about a 1/4 cup
  • 5 cloves of garlic, minced through the garlic press
  • 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
  • Fresh cracked pepper
  • Diamond Crystal kosher salt
  • 1 stem of fresh Rosemary, chopped and stripped off stem
  • 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
  • 1 teaspoon  Herbes de Provence

My oven is not as hot as what it should be and is really flaky at times.  I know this, so you should always do oven "timing" according to the way your oven works.  I do mine at 450°F for 30 minutes and then turn it down to 300°F.  Today, I was thinking it would take 2 hours at 300°F...but sometimes, for whatever reason, it just doesn't work out that way for me...we would see...

I used a cast iron pan today.  I put a cup of water and a half cup of red wine in the bottom.  I peppered the roast first.  Then I massaged the rub in all over.


I flipped it, so doing it on both sides.  Lastly, I cracked coarse kosher salt all over it.


I took it out after an hour and the water was almost all evaporated so I added some more.  The house smelled heavenly.  For the last half hour of roasting, I turned the temperature up to 425°F and put the muffin tin to get it ready for the Yorkshire puddings.  Below is how it looked when it came out of the oven.


I put it on the cutting board and covered it with tinfoil to rest.  The Yorkshires went in and were ready 20 minutes later.


I made the gravy, mashed the potatoes and the corn.  Then I carved the roast.  It was cooked really well.  The ends were were more well done and the rest went from medium to medium rare.  I took the ends tonight (below) as I wanted the mustard flavor from the rub.  I went back and got horseradish for mine too.  I gave my son a huge slice of medium rare and he said it was so tender.


There is a whole whack of roast leftover.  This will go for beef dips on Monday.  That is one of my son's favorite meals and he always looks forward to it.  The beef bones went into the freezer with a good portion of meat on them.  I use it for soup.  This was an enjoyable dinner that was so unplanned, but such a nice treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment