Friday, October 28, 2016

Devils on Horseback

Looking around at my food inventory, I had a mishmash of stuff and lots of odds and ends.  I saw pitted dates and decided to make some Devils on Horseback.  I looked a bunch of recipes - they all varied by minute details, but it's basically just a date stuffed with something and wrapped with bacon.

I looked in my cupboard and I had some smoked oysters.  I had some jalapeno cheese and Marcona almonds too, so I decided to do a mix of three types.


I would do the bacon wrapped smoked oysters, bacon wrapped dates stuffed with jalapeno cheese and bacon wrapped dates stuffed with Marcona almonds.  I cut the bacon up in 4ths.  Next time I would do thirds, but I wanted more bang for my buck.


Below is the Marcona almond stuffed date.


Below is the smoked oyster in bacon.


Below is the cheese stuffed date.


These didn't look fancy on a parchment lined baking sheet but it was good enough.  They were hard to wrap because I skimped on the bacon length.


I sprinkled cayenne pepper over them all.  I baked at 350°F for 15 minutes, drained the bacon fat off and flipped them for another 15 minutes.


These were good, covered the sweet and salty elements.  Of course there isn't really anything bad with bacon is there?  My son's favorite was the Marcona almond, followed by the cheese and then finally the lowly smoked oyster.  I didn't really have one that stood out.  I used to love smoked oysters when I was in my twenties - I may not have eaten them in that long now.  I bought them out of reminiscing about them in a grocery store one day.  Anyway, I'm not a fan anymore.  Thank goodness for bacon, it can save anything.  I can say that if you made these for company, they would be gone...


No comments:

Post a Comment