Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Turkey, Mushroom, Quinoa Soup with Chinese Sausage

So, my broth was made yesterday with the leftover turkey carcass and the house smelled wonderful all day (8 hours of simmering).  I used an onion, a carrot, a stick of celery and herbs:  rosemary, thyme, parsley and sage along with fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt.  Below is how it looked coming out of the fridge today.


I had to skim off about a quarter inch of fat.  After that, I stirred it up - it looked like jello which is exactly what I wanted.  Gelatinous broth.


I'm tired now from all the chopping I just did, so rather than write out the recipe, I'll just show the pictures of everything I added to the broth.


I added 3/4 cup of quinoa.


This was one large leek, sliced.


Above was one large red pepper, diced.


One medium sweet onion, diced.


2 stalks of celery, sliced.


3 small carrots (from a bunch), sliced.


About 10 medium Cremini (baby Portabella) mushrooms, sliced and quartered.


About 10 medium white mushrooms, sliced and quartered.



Shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced.



Organic Swiss chard.  Stems removed, then rolled up and sliced.


Rosemary, Sage and Thyme.  I put this all into the stock and the pot was full.  I would have to wait to put in the meat when the vegetables simmered down a little bit.  That took about 15 - 20 minutes.  I stirred in fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt and then covered the pot below.  I brought it to a boil and then a simmer.


I got the sausages ready.


I used 5 and cut them into small slices.  Last time I used the whole pack so I was trying to show a little restraint this time.  :)  I put them in a non-stick pan and cooked until crisp on both sides.


I drained them on paper towels.  This got rid of tons of fat!  There was well over a quarter cup of fat left in the frying pan when done.


I chopped the turkey next.  The veggies simmered down enough so I added in the meats.


I chopped some parsley and simmered for another half hour.


I stirred in the parsley when the soup was done and seasoned with more S&P.  I garnished with a little parsley as well.


This was a HEARTY soup.  I bought all my veggies fresh today and just wanted everything in it, it seems.  Besides the sausages, I think it was a pretty healthy meal.  The sausages give such a nice sweetness and contrast of flavor, I really like it in soups even if adds extra sodium and fat.  I wouldn't say it was the best soup I've ever made, but it was definitely flavorful and serviceable...




No comments:

Post a Comment