Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Spanish Cod in One Pot

I saw IGA had fresh cod on sale this week so searched for a recipe.  I found this one and thought it looked great, it was really appealing to me.  It is from the UK so some of the words are different than what we use here.  Anyway, it was also a way to try out the Saffron I bought at Trader Joe's.


The only edit I did was add a peeled yam that was cubed.  I added that in with the chickpeas.  For the "passata" the recipe called for, I just used my no-salt Hunt's tomato sauce (in the tetra pack).  I used Kirkland organic low sodium chicken broth for the stock.  The "samphire" in the recipe looks like what I've had called sea beans here.  I love them, but have no idea where to find them...  I omitted that.  I grated some lemon zest too as I think "when life gives you lemons, grate some zest".  ;)  I mixed it with the parsley and Kirkland organic extra virgin olive oil.

I bought two "wine chorizo" sausages for this recipe.  I diced them up.


I cut up the onion next and minced the garlic.


I did the yam next.  I did these cubes  about the same size as the chickpeas as I didn't want to have to cook them too long.


I got all the other ingredients ready and lined up because once I started, I wanted all my mise en place in place.  I patted the cod dry and seasoned with S&P.  This below, cost me $12 today.


I fried the chorizo and then put it in a paper towel lined bowl to drain the fat off.


I stir fried the onions, then added the paprika and garlic.  The liquids, sugar and Saffron all went in next.  I simmered for about 10 minutes and seasoned with S&P.  I added the chickpeas, lemon juice and yams next, brought it up to a boil again, then covered and simmered for another 10 minutes.


I added the chorizo and stirred.  I placed the cod on top of everything and stirred.  I covered and simmered again for another 10 minutes, flipping the fish half way through.  I basted every so often.


I had to serve this in bowls and the broth was pretty darn good.  I garnished with the parsley mix.


I served with a piece of french bread with butter and a slice of lemon.  This really needed some bread for dipping.


Yum.  This is a keeper - it reminded me of being a fish stew - like a bouillabaisse.  I especially liked the chorizo which gave it a nice heat that I wasn't expecting.  The yams were just tender and I liked the addition.  The cod was cooked perfectly.  I wasn't planning to eat bread with this but when I tasted the broth, I knew I had to.  It was really filling - I only got through half my dish and was stuffed.  I wasn't expecting that.  That means I get a great lunch tomorrow.

Now I'm curious about where I can get sea beans locally? Hmmmm....


No comments:

Post a Comment