Saturday, January 14, 2017

Chicken Pot Pie

As I stripped the meat off the rotisserie chickens my son bought me yesterday so I could make soup, I decided to make pot pie for dinner tonight.  My soup stock was going to go overnight in my crockpot.  This was a very easy version of pot pie as I was just going to use Pillsbury biscuit dough as the topping for it.  The other ingredients that went in were what I had on hand in the fridge.  I had a half bowl of homemade mushroom soup left, so I threw that in the mix below too.  I used:

  • 2 cups cooked chicken meat, broken into bite size pieces
  • 1 stalk of celery, sliced
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 broccoli crown head, cut into small florets
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 cups of Kirkland no salt chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with equal amount of water
  • Fresh thyme leaves, stripped from 4 stalks
  • Small handful of parsley, chopped
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon Trader Joe's no salt "21 Seasoning Salute"
I started with all the prep work and then sauteing the onions, garlic, green pepper, celery, carrot and S&P.  


When soft, I added in the liquids, seasoning, herbs, broccoli and chicken.   


When the consistency was the correct thickness, I checked the seasoning, it needed more S&P.   I poured it all into the baking dish and put it on a foil lined baking sheet.


I unpackaged the dough and squished in the 10 biscuits over the top, making sure the edges were tucked into the dish.  


I finished with a half cup of grated 2 year aged white cheddar on top.  


I had the oven preheated at 350°F and set the timer for 40 minutes.   


I thought this was just okay, my son said it was yummy (I think because he was starving at this point).  Totally edible, yet nothing special.  I'm glad the vegetables were not mushy!


No comments:

Post a Comment