Saturday, January 7, 2017

Crab Stuffed Mushrooms

This was my cheat day for all the healthy eating we've been doing lately, and I decided to splurge on some crab stuffed mushrooms.  I planned to make this at Christmas, but we had too much other food and I never got to it.  I don't need a recipe for this, I just did what I've always done pretty much.  I used:

  • 2 cans of crab (170 grams & 15% leg meat), drained
  • 12 stuffer mushrooms, stems removed and wiped clean
  • 1/2 a 227 gram container of Philadelphia Herb & Garlic cream cheese
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley (I would have used fresh if I had it)
  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
  • Fresh cracked pepper 
  • 2 tablespoons Frank's Red Hot sauce
  • Good shake of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 lemon, 1/2 juiced into cream cheese mixture, 1/2 served as garnish
  • mushroom stems, chopped in food processor
  • 1/4 red onion, chopped in food processor
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped in food processor
  • 1 large clove of garlic, smashed and chopped in food processor
I minced the stems, onion, garlic and green pepper and then sauteed them in olive oil with S&P.


I did this until they were soft.  I added a little white wine and let it reduce.  I set them aside to cool.  While doing that, I mixed the cream cheese mixture with all the seasonings together.


I sauteed the mushroom caps in olive oil next.  I find that if you don't saute them, they are still raw by the time the filling is done. So I have always done this after the first couple of tries.  I added a 1/2 cup of white wine and let it reduce out - this helped cook them too.  I preheated the oven to 350°F.  I lined a baking sheet with parchment, sprayed lightly with "Pam" and moved the mushrooms to it.


I mixed the cooled veggies to the cream cheese and mixed.  I added the crab and mixed.


It was still a little loose, so I added a scant 1/4 cup of panko crumbs.

I stuffed the mushrooms really full.


I topped each with a little panko and did a quick spray of "Pam" over top.  I baked for 30 minutes.


They were a little spicy, a tad too much in that it overpowered my palette.  Normally I use the whole container of cream cheese too, and honestly, I missed that.  I also missed some fresh herbs too, like chives which I usually add.  Other than that, everything was good and I got the "stuffed mushrooms itch" scratched... My son liked them, he even finished mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment