Monday, January 16, 2017

Homemade Curry Chicken Soup

I was finally ready to use the chicken broth I made in my slow cooker.  I thought just to change it up a little, I would add some curry and apple.  Tonight I used:

  • Homemade chicken stock
  • 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 small green pepper, diced
  • 1 stalk of celery, diced
  • 1 large zucchini, diced
  • 3 cups of cooked chicken in bite size pieces
  • 1 Fuji apple, peeled, seeded and diced small
  • 1/2 cup organic Costco TruRoots Ancient Grains (white & red quinoa, buckwheat, millet)
  • 2 teaspoons of Madras curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt
I took the broth out which had been sitting overnight in the fridge.  There was a layer of fat on it, so I gently rolled it up and out of the soup with a large skimming spoon.



I discarded the fat.  The broth was lovely and gelatinous.  Then I did all my prep work first.


I started by sauteing the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery with olive oil in a frying pan.


When soft, I added the curry, turmeric and S&P.  I stir-fried until the spices were well incorporated.  I added a half ladle of broth and removed from the heat.


I added all the remaining ingredients into the broth and stirred.  Then I added the onion mixture into the pot and gave it another stir.  I turned the heat up so it would come to a boil.  At that time, I lowered the heat to simmer and covered it for 30 minutes.


I garnished with some chives.  WOW, I thought this was startlingly impressive and totally unexpected.  One of those times where all the seasoning and ingredients seemed to meld perfectly together.  I loved it.  There is nothing better in my opinion, than homemade soup stock and the broth was what I enjoyed most.  I was very, very happy with my dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment