Saturday, January 28, 2017

French Omelette by Chef Ludo Lefebvre

I have been fascinated by this omelette ever since I saw Chef Lefebvre make it on television.  It is on my list of travel things to do - to go to his restaurant and experience it.  This was not my first time attempting it.  I have tried it about three times previously but have never been able to perfect it.  I've come close but unfortunately end up with a bit of "brown(ing)" color on it.  😞

Today I was going at it again with the idea to to go with lower heat and have more patience.  This is a really good page with his recipe explaining and showing the technique behind it.

I followed every step and ingredient exactly, except I used "Herb & Garlic" Boursin cheese because that is what Costco sells.




I even squished it into a sandwich ziploc bag so I could squeeze it out.  Boursin cheese is divine!  I love that Chef Lefebvre calls it the "French cream cheese".

I started with three organic free range eggs and I whisked them up.




I added in the salt and some white pepper and whisked again for about a minute.

I heated the frying pan on low heat until it felt hot to my hand.  I was nervous about browning the butter.


I added the butter and when melted, added the eggs.  It was hard to take any pictures through this process as it takes total concentration on the eggs to make sure not to brown them, but I managed a couple...



Above he tells you when you roll it, to put more butter in and spread it out as you roll it up.  I was happy to see no brown on the bottom!


I did it!!!!!!!!!!  It came out as it should.  I only had a couple of chives, but at least I had some.  I plated and garnished.


My son said it was delicious.  I tried a small bite and thought I may have used a little too much salt so next time would use a smaller pinch.  Other than that, it was a damn fine omelette!

No comments:

Post a Comment