Saturday, January 28, 2017

Cod Cakes

I had so much cod leftover from last night, I decided to make cod cakes.  That was my original plan for the cod I bought in the first place.  I was going to use this recipe, but I ended up just poaching the cod last night and serving it that way with my tofu dish.  I decided instead of frying these cakes,  I was going to bake them on parchment on a baking sheet.  I sprayed the parchment with "Pam" first.

So, I just flaked it all into a bowl.  I kept looking at it wishing it was lump crab.  😋


I went about sauteing the onions, garlic and celery in some unsalted butter and olive oil.


I added a small diced red pepper to that because I had that in the fridge and I thought it would give some added color.  I seasoned with some fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt.


When soft, I took off the heat and set aside to cool.

As I was looking for my parsley, I discovered I didn't have any!  I always have parsley -- what the heck?  I decided I would have to use some green onions in its place -- I always have those too.


I would add some dried parsley to the seasonings too.  I mixed that next.


I used 2 eggs, Dijon mustard, Hellman's mayo, some Old Bay, crushed chili flakes and dried parsley.  Then it was time to start mixing everything together.


I mixed the seasoning in and I had some leftover Ritz snowflake crackers from Christmas that I wanted to use up so I crushed those and threw them in (about a half cup).  I added in the panko next.


Lastly, I added the green onions and gave it one final mix.  Then  I went to assembling the cakes.  I used a ring mold which made life so much easier!!!


I packed the mold tight and full.  I pressed down in the middle to lift it up and off.


At this point, I covered in saran wrap and put them in the fridge so they could set.  I left them there for about an hour.

When they came out, I coated the tops with mayo and preheated the oven to 400°F.  They baked until golden brown which was 45 minutes.  Mine were an inch high and packed dense and very taut so they took longer to cook.


I plated.  I love my fish cakes with ketchup - it's a must, but I also wanted some tartar sauce (Trader Joe's Dill & Jalapeno) this time so served both with my plate.  My son dislikes tartar sauce so only ketchup for his.


These were very good and tasty.  I wasn't really diggin' the tartar sauce (blech) but loved the ketchup as always.  The cakes were a great mixture of flavors, nicely balanced and I really liked the addition of the chili flakes.  Chalk one up to Costco again for their fine cod!

No comments:

Post a Comment