Friday, January 27, 2017

Poached Wild Pacific Cod

I saw this beautiful fresh wild cod at Costco and had to buy it.  I decided to poach it because I was sure it would be delicious and obviously "healthy" that way.  For my poaching liquid, I used:


  • Whole black Tellicherry peppercorns (about 10)
  • 1/2 a lemon, with rind, sliced and then into quarters and squeezed
  • 3 cups of water with Better Than Bouillon Organic Vegetable Base, Reduced Sodium
  • Fresh herbs including dill, basil, thyme, marjoram and savory (I bought this at Urban Fare grocery store labelled as a "seafood herb pack" - it worked for me!)
  • Shiitake mushroom stems (about 10)
  • 2 bay leaves

I laid the cod on top.  It wasn't cheap for that package below - it was $27 but it was gorgeous!


I then seasoned with fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt.  I covered in foil and baked in a 350°F preheated oven for 40 minutes.

It came out perfect!  


I was so pleasantly surprised and happy!  I served it in a bowl with a ladle or two of broth and garnished with some micro-planed lemon zest and Thai basil.  It did need some more kosher salt to finish, though some soy sauce would have worked well too...


SUPER!  This is a keeper.  The broth was full of flavor and the fish was moist and tender.  I will use the leftovers for cod cakes...

No comments:

Post a Comment