Sunday, July 8, 2018

Apple Dumplings

I got up on this weekend morning and was watching the "Pioneer Woman" on Food Network.  I saw her make this.  In general, a lot of her recipes are not very healthy, however, they are easy.  I figured my son would love this so I made it for him tonight.  Half a pound of butter and almost 2 cups of sugar!  I scaled back a little on her bad ingredients though and used:

  • 2 whole Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 8 slices each
  • 2 cans (8 oz. Cans) Pillsbury crescent rolls
  • 1 stick (1/4 lb) unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup unrefined organic coconut sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • Cinnamon, to taste
  • 1 cup Mountain Dew soda pop
  • Vanilla ice cream, for serving
I preheated the oven to 350°F.  I greased a 9" x 13" cake pan with cooking spray.



I took a slice of apple and rolled it up into each crescent roll.  I laid these in the baking pan.


I melted the butter and added the vanilla and sugar.


She said it was supposed to be lumpy and grainy and coconut sugar fit that bill.  I poured it over the crescents - I had just enough to coat them all.


Then I poured the pop all around the edges and down the middle.  I sprinkled cinnamon over the top and put it into the oven for 40 minutes.  I had to try a bite before I served...


Very good!  The apple was perfectly cooked and the sauce was pretty darn tasty!  Son let out a loud Mmmmmm, and then an "OMG, this is soooooo good!".


I would have liked more sauce for drizzling, so next time, I'd just use the whole can of pop since I cut out one stick of butter and 3/4 cup of sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment