Saturday, July 21, 2018

Zucchini Vichyssoise Soup

I haven't cooked much while feeling unwell lately and I've missed it.  I've never made this before and am still craving soup from being under the weather.  It seemed a good time to try it and this can be eaten hot, warm or cold.  I followed Ina Garten's recipe for it except I added my last Vidalia onion.  I was sad to see the Vidalias are gone now from markets but at least I will have Walla Walla for a while...

  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 Vidalia onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 large leeks, white and light green parts chopped
  • 8 medium unpeeled nugget potatoes, chopped
  • 2 large zucchini, chopped
  • 10 cups homemade chicken stock
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cup half & half cream
  • Fresh chives, for garnish
I took a chicken carcass out of the freezer and made my broth in the morning.  I used lots of fresh herbs, carrot with its greens and portabella mushroom stems for the flavor.  It turned out delicious.  I set it aside until needed.


I started by sauteing the onion and leeks.  I did this with the oil and butter in a dutch oven until soft.  




Next I added the potatoes, zucchini, chicken stock, and S&P.  


I brought to a boil, then a simmer, and covered for 35 minutes.  I made sure the potatoes were soft, then used my immersion hand blender to puree the soup smooth.    


I stirred in the cream and checked the seasoning for S&P.  It was ready to serve.  I snipped some chives over the bowl.


Wow, this was soooooo  luscious!  Loved it.  Mmmmm.  It was so creamy it didn't even need the extra at the end, but 1/4 cup was fine and added to the silkiness.  I understand it gets better the longer it sits too.  This was a fine choice for a Saturday afternoon.  Can't wait to try it cold tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment