Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Blueberry Bundt Cake

It's weird, and I don't know why, but lately I keep making desserts and I don't eat them.



Blueberries are in season so I bought some that were local and found this recipe.  I've never made a bundt cake, so went and bought a "Betty Crocker" pan at the dollar store.  I covered the inside with cooking spray.  What I used:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder 
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt 
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1 ½  cups sugar 
  • 4 large free range eggs, at room temperature 
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 
  • ½ cup 0% fat organic Greek yogurt
  • 1 lb blueberries, washed  
I preheated the oven to 350°F.  I wasn't too happy about this as it was a very warm evening outside.  I washed the blueberries, then coated them lightly with sugar.


I read this stopped them from all falling to the bottom of the cake pan.  We would see, I guess.  I creamed the butter and sugar together.


This was hard with a hand mixer and not easy.  It was quite messy even at the lowest speed.  So, it made me decide to put a Kitchen-Aid mixer on my retirement list of must haves.  I would never do this by a hand mixer again.  I added the eggs, one a time.  That was easy to mix.  Then the vanilla.  Then the sifted dry ingredients, alternating with the yogurt, in 3 different batches.  It was quite a thick batter.  This was a chore and a pain and messy.  I gently folded in the blueberries except I kept a layer out for the bottom of the pan, as below.



I put this in the oven and set the timer to 55 minutes.  It was done at that time.


I cooled it for 20 minutes in the pan and then flipped it out onto a rack.


I didn't want to make a glaze, so I found this vanilla sugar instead.


I sprinkled it over the top with a tiny sifter.


My taste taster son was not available so I had a slice.  I really enjoyed it though I wished I had put some lemon zest in.  I even had one on the counter.  This is probably the first time I've ever eaten blueberry cake so I'm probably not a good judge of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment