Monday, July 23, 2018

Chickpea Salad Pitas

I was watching this on Food Network before I went to bed last night and decided it would be good to make for lunches.  It looked like egg salad but without the cholesterol.  Frankly, this is the first and only Trisha Yearwood recipe that I've considered making.  She's not my fave on the network.  I went out and bought the ingredients I needed today.

  • Two 19-ounce cans of no salt chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
  • 2 small organic ripe avocados, peeled and pitted 
  • 4 chopped green onions 
  • 2 limes, freshly squeezed 
  • 2 tablespoons 1/2 fat mayonnaise 
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard 
  • 2 cloves minced garlic 
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
I bought organic whole wheat pita pockets.  I also bought a long English cucumber and radishes to stuff inside the pitas for the crunch factor.


I put all the ingredients in a bowl and used my immersion hand blender to break it down.  Below is "everyone in the pool"...


I didn't puree till totally smooth but left it just slightly chunky.  I covered and put into the fridge to let the flavors meld together.



This was tasty.  It definitely reminded me of egg potato salad, especially with the radishes.  Next time, I'd stir in the green onions at the end, then it would look like it too.  It was a tad heavy on the mustard (I think 1 tablespoon would do the job), but it was still good.  It was also very reminiscent of a hummus.  Great for lunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment