Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Steamed Cod & Veggies in Foil Packet

Ouch, it is a scorcher outside today 🔥 and the heatwave is expected to continue for a week I heard.  No oven, no stove today.  I decided to make a foil package for the BBQ grill.  I bought what looked appealing to me in the grocery store this afternoon and finished off some fridge items from home.  The cod looked really nice and fresh.  I got the butcher to wrap me up piece from the ice display.  What I made tonight is how I like to eat when trying stay healthy, the Mediterranean diet.



What I used:
  • 1.25 lb piece of wild fresh Pacific cod
  • 2 Shanghai baby bok choy heads, ends removed and leaves separated
  • 1/2 large orange bell pepper, sliced in thin strips
  • 1/2 large beefsteak tomato, cubed
  • 1 inch of ginger, peeled and diced finely
  • 3 green onions, sliced fine
  • 1 large handful of fresh green beans, ends removed
  • 1 lemon, sliced thinly
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup organic coconut liquid aminos
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • Fresh basil leaves, to taste and torn 
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin oil, rubbed on fish and drizzled on veggies
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
I got a grilling sheet to put the foil package on.  I doubled up the foil and made a cross.  I tried to fit the tray.  I layered all the veggies on like a bed.


I mixed up the liquid aminos, sesame oil, garlic and ginger.  


I set the fish on top of the veggies and laid lemon slices over.  I poured all the liquid over.  


I seasoned with S&P and then I sprinkled a generous amount of basil over.  


I sealed the package as tight as possible. 


I set this on a 400°F covered grill for 30 minutes (It was a big package).  I opened it in large cake pan so I wouldn't lose any liquids,  


Everything was cooked perfectly.  The fish was just done, flaky and tender.  The veggies were crisp but soft.  The tomato and bell pepper were sweet.  The sauce just highlighted everything.  The only thing I missed was adding some chili flakes to the pseudo soy sauce mixture, I think.  Otherwise, I was very, very happy with the result.  More so that the house didn't have to heat up more in any way.  Oh central A/C, how I wish for you...


No comments:

Post a Comment