Saturday, January 5, 2019

Baked Steelhead Trout with Maple Glaze

I like farmed steelhead trout better than wild salmon (I don't eat farmed salmon).  There, I said it and I mean it.  We cook this all the time.  Normally we just do it very simply with S&P and pan fried in a little olive oil. The crispy skin is our favorite part.  My son picked up a huge pack at Costco yesterday, so I decided to bake it this time.  Leftovers are great cold, in salad - even in sandwiches as well...

I pre-heated my oven to 400°F.  My Brussels sprouts and radishes were already in there, roasting.  I wasn't sure how long it would bake for yet, but would use my meat thermometer and look for 145°F.  I patted the trout dry and seasoned both sides with kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper.  I put the filets into a 13" x 9" baking dish (covered with cooking spray), skin side down.


What I used to make the glaze:

  • 1/4 cup coconut aminos (in place of soy sauce)
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
  • 2 tablespoons zhoug sauce (for cilantro flavor and heat to balance sugar)
  • 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Zest of 1 lime and wedges for garnish

I poured this over and sprinkled some chopped cilantro over the top.  


This went in the oven when the veggies were half way cooked.  After 20 minutes, I checked the temperature of the fish and it was done.  The veggies were done too.  


I drained the liquid out of the dish and then put the fish under the broiler for 5 minutes.  


I served.  My son got some cilantro basmati rice.  I went without the rice.  



I thought it was delicious.  The fish was perfectly cooked and tender.  While the sauce was on the sweet side, squeezing lime over balanced it out.  The roasted veggies were soooo tasty.  The radishes became sweet and were a nice contrast to the sprouts.  Easy dinner to do that meets with my eating plan for January.  


No comments:

Post a Comment