Thursday, January 24, 2019

Perfect Pot Roast

I saw a decent looking blade roast on sale so decided it was pot roast time.  This recipe was courtesy of Ree Drummond from Food Network.  I followed it as a baseline and did some adaptions to my liking:

  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 3 pound "Triple A, certified Angus" blade roast 
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 whole onions, peeled and halved
  • 2 fresh carrot bunches, unpeeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 3 whole cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
  • 1 cup red wine
  • 3 cups low sodium "Better than Bouillon" vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3 sprigs fresh thyme
  • Handful of fresh Italian parsley, chopped and for garnish
I put the oil in a dutch oven and heated it.  I prepped the onions and garlic.


I browned them, seasoning with S&P.



I removed them to a plate and then tossed in the carrots and turnip. I did the same and seasoned again.


These took a while (20 minutes?)  and didn't really get brown.  They went onto a plate as well.


I seasoned the roast and seared all sides.


This went on the plate with the vegetables.


I deglazed the pan with the red wine next.  I scraped all the brown bits off the bottom.  I poured in the stock next.  You want the liquid to go about halfway up the roast.  Then I turned off the stove and removed it from the burner.


I put the roast in and the stock was halfway up.  Then I put the onions and garlic in, the herbs and lastly the veggies.


I covered with a lid and put it in the fridge overnight.  I preheated the oven to 250°F and put the roast in with the timer set for 4 hours (I turned mine up to 300 degrees the last 3 hours), so just know that your oven may differ from mine.  Near the end, I boiled some baby potatoes so I could mash them for my son as the side dish.  I fried a side of cremini mushrooms to serve with mine.  I would have put the shrooms in the pot had I remembered but there wasn't enough room anyway.  


When the roast was done (fall apart tender), I put it on a plate, cut off the string and let it rest, covered in foil.  I strained out all the vegetables, discarding all the herbs and bay leaves.  I put them in a bowl and also covered in foil.  I boiled the liquid down to reduce it and then made gravy.  It turned out so rich and flavorful.  Really WOW.  Honestly, this might be the best pot roast I've ever had.  Was a stressful day and this meal really did make it better.  I didn't even miss the mashed potatoes though I thought I would...The only thing I didn't like was the halved onions, I would slice them next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment