Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Cod Florentine

I was inspired by a recipe I saw on Skinnytaste.  She adapted hers from another to make it healthier and it looked good to me.  I minor tweaked to suit me.  What I used:

  • 1 kg fresh Pacific wild cod
  • 1 large red pepper, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 large container (11 oz) fresh organic baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup light Herb & Garlic Philadelphia cream cheese
  • 160 ml organic premium coconut milk
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan Regianno, grated finely
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Lime wedges, for serving
I started by sauteing the bell pepper and garlic in a fry pan.  I cooked until soft and seasoned with S&P.


Handful by handful, I put the spinach in, covering with a lid with each addition until wilted.


When it was all done, I added in the cream cheese, S&P, Parmesan and coconut milk, stirring till combined. 


I patted the fish dry and seasoned with S&P on both sides.


I put the filets on top of the spinach, covered and steamed them over low heat.  This took 10 minutes each side, flipping once with a fish spatula. For the second half, I did this uncovered and at medium heat, to reduce some of the liquid.  I knew there would be a lot of liquid because of the way I did the fish, but I wanted a one pot dinner tonight.  I served with a lime wedge on the side which I forgot for my photo.  My son got a quinoa, whole grain blend as his side.  I just had what was in the pan.  


This was fantastic!  Even with the liquid.  That would become one bowl of fish chowder with the leftovers!  The flavors were on point - sauce tasted creamy and cheesy and seasoning was perfect.  Peppers were sweet and spinach was not slimy.  Fish was done right - just cooked and flaky.  This was enjoyed by all, drink/lick the plate clean good.


No comments:

Post a Comment