Sunday, January 13, 2019

Egg White Vegetable Breakfast Bake

This looked like a good way to end the weekend.  I liked the recipe with the "crescent roll" idea.  I had those in the fridge and needed to use them.  I did my own spin on this and used what I had in the fridge.

  • 1 package of Pillsbury crescent rolls
  • 1 cup Kraft Cracker Barrel old cheddar cheese, grated and divided
  • 1 stalk of curly kale stem removed and coarsely chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 red onion, diced
  • 200 grams white button mushrooms, halved and sliced
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • Handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
  • 400 grams free run egg whites whisked with few good shakes of Cholula hot sauce
  • Kosher salt & black cracked pepper, to taste
I preheated my oven to 400°F.  I sauteed the onion, mushrooms and bell peppers in olive oil until soft.  I seasoned with S&P.


I pressed the entire crescent roll into the pan, trying to seal the seams and make it look like rectangle pizza crust.  


I layered 1/2 the cheese over top.


I spread all the kale over, followed by the veggies. 


I poured in the egg whites and seasoned with S&P.  I sprinkled the cilantro over and lastly the remaining cheese.  I thought it looked very pretty.


This went in the oven for 25 minutes until everything was cooked and the eggs were set.


I let it rest 5 minutes before slicing.  I took a corner piece and below is on a side plate.


This was really delicious.  Loved the crust the crescent rolls made.  This was a great way to use egg whites and not miss the yolks.  The veggies were perfect, especially the mushrooms.  I enjoyed how the kale got a little crispy on top.  The best part of this dish was that it will become breakfast at work for the upcoming week.  When it cooled totally, I sliced it in 5 equal squares, put them in ziploc bags and popped them in the fridge.  This dish would be good eaten cold or room temperature as well as hot from the oven.


No comments:

Post a Comment