Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Belgian Endive and Walnut Salad

The last time I bought endive, it went bad.  I made sure I used it this time and it all came together in about 15 minutes.  This was as easy as can be.  I made a smaller amount than the recipe and what I used is below:

  • 2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon organic honey
  • 2 heads Belgian endive, trimmed, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
  • 1 Royal Gala apple, skin on, cored, sliced into thin half-moon halves
  • Handful of walnut pieces, toasted and chopped

I made the dressing first with the first 4 ingredients.  I ended up adding a teaspoon of organic honey to cut some of the tartness.  I washed and trimmed the endive and put it in bowl.  I had to peel some outer leaves off first.


I washed and sliced the apples then deposited them in next.


I toasted the walnuts (I broke them with a mallet in a ziploc to smaller pieces).  They went in.


I dressed the salad mixing well, seasoned with S&P and served.


The bitter endive played well with the sweet apple and the walnuts gave a wanted texture crunch.  This was a very nice starter and would be good side dish as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment