Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Quick Homemade Chana Masala

I needed to make something quick and easy for dinner and this is what I came up with what was in my cupboard.  I bought some excellent garlic naan from this "hole in the wall" Indian place by work.  He makes them fresh "made to order" in the clay oven and it takes about 10 minutes.  I watch him roll them out and put the garlic on and then stick it on the sides of the oven.  Expensive though at $7 for two, but do they ever smell and taste heavenly when done (swoon).

  • 2 cans (540 ml each) of no salt chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
  • 1 can (796 ml) organic, no salt diced tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin oil
  • 1 inch nub of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno chili pepper, cut in half lengthwise, then in half again, chopped finely (I would have used serrano if available today)
  • 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon amchur (dried mango powder) 
  • 1 tablespoon of garam masala 
  • 1 tablespoon ground corainder
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon Indian chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Kasoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon organic pure maple syrup
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • Handful of cilantro, chopped finely for garnish
I had the naan warming in the oven as I put this together.



I started by sauteing the onion, garlic, chili pepper and ginger in the oil.


When soft and fragrant, I added in all the spices and stirred for a couple of minutes until the new scents bloomed in aroma.


The chickpeas, tomatoes, maple syrup and lemon juice went in last.  I simmered covered for 20 minutes and then served, garnished with cilantro.


This was tasty.  Nice spicing and flavor was good.  The only thing was I wanted more gravy, so next time I would add a small can of coconut milk.  I think that would make it more creamy and rich.  Maybe I just want everything to taste like butter chicken?  😊 Not bad for such little time spent, and ready from start to finish in under an hour.

EDIT:  1/9/19:

I brought some for my co-worker and his thoughts were like mine, that it needed the coconut milk.  He said he found it bitter and it needed some sweetness.  I told him I think it was because I squeezed a whole lemon and it became too acidic (it got worse overnight).  Also, the onions were not soft enough as I didn't have the time last night to do it right.  So, I bought some coconut cream and simmered the leftovers until the onions were soft (about a half hour).


Now, that was the answer!!!  Much, much better!  Balanced and creamy and delicious.   The masala gravy was something you could dip some naan into, unlike last night.  Now there will "for sure" be a next time for this recipe...


No comments:

Post a Comment