Thursday, January 17, 2019

Vegetarian Twice Baked Sweet Potato "Burritos"

I got the idea for tonight's dinner here.  I bought one huge mother of a potato!  So, this would be the whole dinner for two.  A half tater each.  I'd call this a yam, but I've read and it seems that what the grocery store calls yams are actually sweet potatoes.  Whatever they are, below is they type I like the best.



I came home from work and started baking it in the oven at 425°F.  First though I washed it, rubbed it down with olive oil and then seasoned with S&P.


I cut it in half and put it flat side down onto a baking sheet and into the oven.  For the filling I used:
  • 1 can (398 ml) no salt organic black beans, drained and rinsed well
  • 1 can (10 oz) Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
  • 2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1 large carrot, grated
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper with ribs and seeds, diced small
  • 1/2 cup of roasted red peppers, diced
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon Mexican chili powder
  • Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped and for garnish
  • 0% m.f. Greek yogurt, for garnish
  • 1 avocado, cubed for garnish
  • 1 cup old cheddar cheese, grated
  • Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 lime, quartered
While the potato was baking, I stir-fried the onion, garlic and jalapeno.


When soft, I mixed in the spices and stirred until fragrant.  I added the beans, roasted peppers, carrot and tomatoes and kept on a very low simmer.  It had great "heat" and tasted wonderful!  I was very happy.  I could have stopped right there and just ate this.


When the potatoes were very soft which was 65 minutes for mine, I removed them from the oven and scooped the flesh out into the bean mixture.


I added some cilantro and  mashed it in with a fork and combined well.  The sugary almost burnt bits were the best tasting.  I liked the filling better without the taters, but it was too late now...


I put the skins under the broiler to crisp them up.  Then my smoke alarm went off and I had to time out for a bit to clear that.  (I had a glass of wine at this point too).  They were crispy but sadly deflated looking.


I filled the mixture into the skins and topped with cheese.  There was a lot of filling leftover (half the pan), but it wouldn't get wasted.


I baked these until the cheese was melted (no more broiler!).  This took about 15 minutes.


I served with a dollop of yogurt, a good sprinkle of cilantro and avocado.  I put a lime wedge on the side.  These were teeny limes...but only 30 cents each so I didn't mind.


This was really yummy!  No complaints at all.  A little carby, but filling and satisfying in all aspects.  Lots of great flavors and all went well together.  I asked my son if he wanted the leftovers as a real burrito in a tortilla tomorrow and I received a very enthusiastic yes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment