Saturday, September 5, 2020

BBQ Pork Chow Mein

I love all Asian fried noodle dishes.  I don't make them often as, let's be honest, it's just easier to order in.  Anyhoo, I decided to make chow mein tonight with fingers crossed it turned out good.  I had all these crappy, pricey (from non-Asian grocery stores), unhealthy chow mein noodles in the cupboard and finally settled on one - the one that most reminded me of chow mein from my younger days...  What I used:



  • 1/2 lb (?) sliced BBQ pork in strips.  I made this at home.  I bought it at the Asian market raw, just had to bake it
  • 400 grams wheat egg noodles, boiled to package directions then rinsed in cold water
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 inch of ginger, peeled and minced
  • 14 oz bag of coleslaw with green/red cabbage and carrots (Yes, I did!  Lazy for sure but hey, it was cleaned already and chopped up)
  • 8 oz bag of beansprouts, rinsed well
  • 4 green onions, sliced
  • Grapeseed oil, to fry in, as needed

For the sauce, I used a about a half cup total of reduced sodium soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar and cornstarch mixed into a slurry. 


I used my largest non-stick pan and heated the oil over med-high heat.  I started by sauteing the onion, ginger, pork and garlic until soft.  


The noodles went in next.  I wanted to try and crisp them a bit.  Then the coleslaw, sprouts and green onions went in last.  When everything seemed cooked but still crisp, I added the sauce.  I stirred until thickened and served with a green onion pocket and a bit of hoisin sauce.    


This was definitely okay.  I liked the ginger in it and the sauce was good, though salty.  The noodles were on point for this dish.  So messy in assembly and seemed like so much work though.  Every time I make fried noodle dishes, I remind myself to order it in next time.  This will be around for a couple more days, and my "noodle fix" is sated...

No comments:

Post a Comment