Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Sheet Pan ChickenThigh, Yam, Kale Dinner

Today was using what was at home in the fridge/freezer and seeing what I could create.  I was feeling kind of lazy though but wanted a nice healthy-ish dinner.  Sheet pan dinners are relatively easy, so we would see...


  • 3 small yams, peeled and cut into large dice (my absent sous chef son did this!)
  • 10 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
  • 2 cups frozen peaches and cream corn kernels
  • 1/2 red onion, halved and sliced
  • 1 stem of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise then sliced in half rings with stems/seeds intact
  • 6 stems of fresh thyme 
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Extra virgin olive oil, as needed

I really wanted crispy skin chicken tonight so to ensure it was I decided to lightly brown the thighs in a cast iron skillet.  I patted them dry, seasoned with S&P and seared in olive oil in the hot pan (2 rounds of 5), moving to the sheet pan when done.  The sheet pan was coated in cooking spray.


For the yams, corn, onions and peppers I tossed them in bowl with the hot chicken fat, fresh rosemary and S&P.  These joined the thighs.  I tucked thyme stems in between the chicken first.



To the kale I stripped off the stems and cut into bit size pieces.  I tossed lightly with olive oil and S&P.  I was ready to cook.  


I preheated the oven to 375°F.  The loaded sheet pan went in for 30 minutes.  I took it out then and tossed the veg and then put the kale on, tucking it into free spaces. 


This went back in the oven for another 30 minutes.  Time to eat!


Those jalapenos packed a punch!  Whew, was not expecting that and it did overpower because of that.  Otherwise everything was delish.  The kale was crispy along with the skin.  Veg were tender and flavorful.  



No comments:

Post a Comment