Sunday, September 20, 2020

Maman's Cheese Soufflé

I've always wanted to make a cheese soufflé yet never have.  I was reminded when I saw Chef Ludo making it on t.v. recently, but the recipe I went with was by legendary Jacques Pepin.  The video is here.  I chose his because it's way less fussy and you didn't have to separate the yolks and egg whites to make it like all the other recipes call for.  Also, Comté cheese was on sale at Costco so the time was now...What I used:

  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus additional to butter a 6-cup gratin dish 
  • 6 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour 
  • 2 cups whole milk 
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
  • 6 large eggs 
  • 2 1/2 cups grated Comté cheese 
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • 3 tablespoons minced garlic chives
  • Pinch of fresh grated nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Butter a 6-cup gratin dish.  Sprinkle the Parmesan around the edges and in the middle of the dish and set it aside. 


Melt the 3/4 stick of butter in a saucepan, then add the flour and mix it in well with a whisk. Cook for 10 seconds, add the cold milk in one stroke and mix it in with a whisk. Keep stirring with the whisk until the mixture thickens and comes to a strong boil, about 2 minutes. It should be thick and smooth. Remove from the heat, and stir in the nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Break the eggs into a bowl and beat well with a fork. After about 10 minutes the white sauce should be cool enough to proceed. Add the eggs, cheese and the chives to the sauce, and mix well to combine. 





Pour into the gratin dish.  Add 3 thin pieces of Comté  cheese in the middle.  


Cook immediately, or set-aside until ready to cook. If setting aside for a few hours, the soufflé can remain outside at room temperature. If assembling a day ahead, refrigerate and bring back to room temperature before baking.  Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until puffy and well browned on top. Although it will stay inflated for quite awhile, it is best served immediately.



So, mine didn't "inflate" or rise as high as I was hoping it would.  😢  However, it tasted fantastic and was Mmmm Mmmm righteous good.  There were nice cheesy pockets that were blissful and those crispy browned edges were sinfully tasty.  I'll try this again.  Next time I'll grate the Parmesan finely and see if that makes a difference.  Maybe the coarser grate didn't let it climb up???  Next time I hope I'll have a nice pretty picture to show.


EDIT:  April 19, 2022:

This was my 2nd attempt.  One more to come as I want it to rise at least 2 inches higher.  I did buy a soufflé dish though!



No comments:

Post a Comment