Monday, September 7, 2020

Roasted and Fresh Tomato Pie

I have made this before, but with store bought pie dough and tomatoes not in season.  So, today would be the "real" thing.  Homemade pie dough and "in season" tomatoes which cost me a fortune this year!  Below is what it cost me for the jewels in this pie.  

But honestly, tomatoes are my favorite summer food and the price tag was worth it even though I couldn't get to my fave grower this season because of the pandemic.  He has the best tomatoes I've EVER eaten but his lines are insane and he sells out every week at the farmers market.  Anyway, this is one of my fave chefs Vivian Howard's recipe.  I subbed 2 year old aged white cheddar for the Fontina she calls for.  

  • 1 tablespoon butter 
  • 1 large Walla Walla onion, halved and cut into julienne with the grain 
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided 
  • Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
  • 3½ pounds tomatoes cut into ½-inch dice, divided 
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided 
  • Fresh thyme sprigs
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves, torn 
  • ½ cup mayonnaise 
  • ⅓ cup grated aged white cheddar cheese
  • ⅓ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

I made Ina Garten's pie dough.  This is the only one I've used so far and it works so well so why change?  I blind baked it per Vivian's recipe making sure to freeze before blind baking so it didn't shrink.  I docked the crust too with a fork.  I only baked for 20 minutes instead of 30 though.  My crust was not pretty, but I didn't spend time on that either...



I caramelized the onions next and they really do shrink down to about a scant 1/3 of a cup.   



The tomatoes were next.  Half were roasted (the cherry ones) with thyme sprigs and salt.



Half were salted and sugared (the heirlooms) in a colander to drain, as per her recipe.  


When all were done, they all got mixed together with remaining sugar, basil, onions, salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste.


The crust was almost full with the filling...


The mayo and cheese was next - spread with an offset spatula.  


I topped with a green and yellow sliced heirloom tomato and put in the oven at at 375°F for 30 minutes.  I had to put it under the broiler for 5 minutes to get the finished look I desired.  


I let it rest until room temperature.  I garnished with the remaining fresh basil.  


This was (in my opinion) one of the BEST things I have ever made in my life...it was soooo freakin' good, hard to put into words!!!  


From the flaky dough to the bright basil, to the sweet delicious tomatoes and onions, to the sharp cheese...it just blew my mind.  WOW WOW and OMFG WOW.  This time the TOMATOES were the star of the show, as it should be... Mmmmm...and the time it took to make this was worth it. Period.



EDIT:  October 2, 2021:

The last hurrah of tomatoes!  I was able to see my "tomato man" this year and gained 5 lbs eating them - bread and pasta were involved quite a lot!  This was the final tomato pie for company.  I used Asiago & an aged Welsh white cheddar.  I made a double crust this time and used a tart pan.  It was glorious as per usual.  




No comments:

Post a Comment