Friday, September 4, 2020

Blueberry Scones

I follow Skinnytaste and these scones popped up as being "lightened up and low-fat" on social media.  I decided to make them for my son as he loves scones for breakfast.  What I used:

  • 2 cups unbleached flour
  • 1/4 cup golden organic sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup frozen unsalted butter, half stick
  • 1 cup 1% buttermilk
  • 1 large free range egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries

This was about as easy as it gets to make.  I got a large sheet pan and lined it with parchment paper.  The oven was preheated to 400°F.

A large bowl got the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder dumped in.  I mixed this up with a whisk.  

I grated the butter into the flour mixture and used a fork to incorporate it until mixed.  

I whisked the egg, buttermilk and vanilla together in a separate bowl.  I poured it into the flour bowl and used the fork to bring it all together (no flour showing).  I folded in the blueberries with a spatula.  


I dropped into large heaps on the baking sheet.  I got 6 large ones.  These went in the oven for 23 minutes.  


I served this right out of the oven, with butter and blueberry jam.  Son had it with coffee.  


I've never eaten a scone so have no idea how it should taste.  He said they were "Mmmm, very nice!".  Said they weren't too sweet and were moist on the inside and crispy on the outside.  Next time I'll add some orange or lemon zest.  Great recipe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment