Thursday, March 17, 2016

Chicken Fricassee

This recipe has been on my "to do" list for a LONG time now...as in years.  Still feeling "under the weather" (but with all my taste/smell intact) and at home today with a whole chicken sitting in the fridge, I decided today was the day...

I cut my chicken into 9 pieces ( 2 legs, 2 wings, 2 breasts, 2 thighs and the keel).  I know how to cut up a chicken as, as a teen I worked in a fancy fast food "fried chicken" shop on the west side of Granville St. (ritzy area) and we cut our own chickens.  I did them tray after tray and I could teach anyone!


I cut mine (I had a big cleaver back then, I don't at home) and put it on a baking sheet, shook them like "shake n bake" with the flour mixture and put it back in the fridge until I was ready for it.


I followed his recipe with all the listed ingredients, just not necessarily in the portions he called for...I certainly didn't need a cup of fat to brown the chicken and other things like that.  I did use bacon grease to brown it, but about half a cup.  I also used more green pepper, mushrooms and garlic than called for.  Other than that, it was close.

I chopped all the veggies (holy trinity & mushrooms) next.  I decided to add a Serrano pepper with seeds to the holy trinity.



I browned the chicken in my enamel cast iron dutch oven in three batches and moved it to a plate.


Then I added in the flour.  Normally you would use a whisk but I was scared to scratch my enamel so I just used a wooden spoon and stirred without stopping until I got "peanut butter" color.  (Gumbo makes me go to a dark chocolate brown stage so this was much easier - and quicker!).


I added in all the veggies and stirred constantly for 10 more minutes.


I added the wine next and it was absorbed almost immediately. Then the broth went in.  I used a box of Kirkland organic no salt chicken broth.  I added in my "Crystal" Louisiana hot sauce and the Worcestershire sauce.  I then added the herb bundle (thyme/sage) and bay leaf in.  I had chives so chopped those and added them in too.


I left some thyme and chives to add in when done.  I brought this to a boil so it could thicken.  I always hear chef Emeril in my head when I make roux's - after adding in liquid, saying, "make sure you let it come to a full boil or it won't reach it's full thickening power!".  When it boiled for a couple minutes, I added back in the chicken, seasoned with fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt put the lid on.


I put it in the oven at 300°F for 2 hours.  When it was a half hour from being ready, I made some Cajun spiced rice with some chives and let it rest until the chicken was ready.  When the chicken came out, I fished out the thyme/sage bundle and the bay leaf.  Then I stirred in the rest of the fresh thyme and chives and some whipping cream (1/2 cup).  I garnished with sliced green onions.


This had a nice heat to it.  Not in your face, but after you finished a bite, you felt the "warming" come in after.  There was good layering in taste.  The gravy was rich and not lacking in flavor.  It was worth the work in the kitchen and very comforting.  This recipe stays in my repertoire.  Yum!

2 comments:

  1. that looks delicious! You will have to post a blog on how to render a whole chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I would have to show you in person how to chop a chicken (though that sounds like a good test)....BUT...I'm sure someone has a youtube out there. :)

      Delete