Saturday, March 5, 2016

Pulled Pork Quiche

I made pulled pork in the crock pot yesterday and there was tons left over.  I was thinking about ways to use it up, when the idea of quiche came to mind.  It was a Saturday afternoon, so seemed suitable.  I'm still "under the weather" though my taste/smell seems to have returned today.  I had a Pillsbury pie dough in the fridge that was just expiring so I had to use it soon or toss it.  I scouted through other items in the fridge and ended up using:

  • 4 free range eggs
  • 1 cup of organic cream cheese (tastes like yogurt - made by a yogurt company - neither of us really liked it so it was a good way to get rid of it)
  • 1 & 1/2 cups of milk
  • 2 green onions, chopped 
  • Good handful of fresh cilantro, chopped 
  • About 2 cups of pulled pork (mine was already mixed with "Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce")
  • 2 cups Old Cheddar cheese, grated
I whisked/mixed the eggs, cream cheese and milk first. Then I added in the green onions and cilantro.  


I grated the cheese next.  I put the dough in the pie plate and started by putting in the pulled pork.  


I added a cup of cheddar next.  


I poured the egg mixture in and then topped with the remaining cheese.  



I set this on a baking sheet lined with foil.  (I tend to overfill my quiche and they always run over.  This one did too).  This went in a 350°F oven for 1 hour.  When it came out, I let it rest for 15 minutes before cutting it.


This turned out super delicious!  That cream cheese gave it a nice tanginess like a tart sour cream or crème fraîche. It went really well in contrast with the sweet bbq pork.  The cilantro gave it great flavor.  I was really happy with the end result.


No comments:

Post a Comment