Thursday, March 10, 2016

Pad Grapow (Thai Basil Chicken)

I saw this recipe pop up on facebook and thought I'd like to make it, even if it was inspired by "Chrissy Teigen" who I am so NOT a fan of...I used a pound and a half of chicken tenders as they were on sale today at IGA.  At my Korean market, I had the option of buying Serrano chilli or Thai Bird's eye chilli but I chickened out on the bird's eye ones.



I bought a crown of broccoli and decided to stir fry that with it so there'd be some veggies.  I cut the tenders in half and marinated them in the soy and oyster sauce.  I put a dash of fish sauce in too.

I don't own a mortar and pestle so I just used my hand blender to mince the garlic & Serrano, I left the seeds in.  I needed avocado oil in the mix to make it blend, so I just used what I would have put in the fry pan and then poured it into the pan when done.


I stripped the basil from the stems and put them in a bowl.  I cut the broccoli into florets.


I heated my fry pan and sauteed the garlic and pepper for less than a minute, then added the chicken.  When it was almost cooked, I added in the broccoli and stirred for another couple of minutes, then I added the basil last.  You're supposed to serve jasmine rice with this, but I just served some garlic/butter rice.


So, the first surprise was that there was ZERO heat to this dish!!!  I don't know if I got a "dud" Serrano or if they are all going to be like this (I bought a package).  Anyway, that was disappointing as some heat would have been a good thing.  The Thai basil really makes this dish.  It just perfumed everything and was delicious.  Next time I will use ground pork.  It is super easy and quick to dish up, so I definitely will make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment