Monday, March 7, 2016

Meatloaf stuffed with Cheese, Mashed Taters & Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Meatloaf is one of my favorite comfort meals, period.  I always have to serve it with mashed potatoes too as it just goes hand in hand.  I generally make meatloaf without a recipe but this time decided to try something new.  This was more time consuming than my regular loaf, so it is best done when not in a rush.

This recipe has been sitting on my "to do" list for quite some time so I decided today was the day.  I've never stuffed my meatloaf before so this was all new territory.  It had been so long since I saw that recipe on the show when it aired that I couldn't remember if she peeled the potato or why she sauteed it first.  So I peeled it and since I've never sauteed onion and potato for meatloaf (I've never used potato at all), I did that too as per her recipe.  I set it aside to cool.


I put all the ingredients into a big bowl and then mixed it all together.  Then I dumped it out onto a piece of wax paper and shaped it into a rectangle.


I cubed some mozzarella and put it down the middle.


I was nervous about the next steps after that, but it was really easy with the wax paper!  I just folded each side over and then sealed it, along with the two ends.



I then picked the whole loaf up on the wax paper and rolled it into a greased ("Pam") 13" x 9" baking pan.


She didn't glaze hers in the recipe but I like to.  With the leftover "no salt tomato sauce", I mixed in some French's yellow mustard, brown sugar and white vinegar.  Then I spooned it over the top of the meatloaf and put it in the fridge until dinner time.  I had enough glaze left to do it again twice when cooking (every 30 minutes).  I took it out of the fridge about a half hour before I was ready for it and preheated the oven to 350°F. At that time it went in for an hour and a half.


The Brussels sprouts are so easy.  Just cut the ends off, cut them in half (lengthwise) and put in a bowl.  Season with freshly cracked pepper and kosher salt and toss with a couple of good glugs of Kirkland Organic Extra Virgin olive oil.


Pour these out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350°F for about an hour.


I put these in the oven after the meatloaf was in for a half hour.  I shook them every twenty minutes or so.


I started boiling the potatoes at that time too.  I like Yukon Gold for mashed.  For gravy, I just used a package of Knorr Demi Glace.  


When it came out, a little of the cheese leaked out, but most of it stayed intact.  This was a very tasty meatloaf!  My son loved it.  I would make it again on a weekend for sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment