Sunday, March 6, 2016

Pulled Pork & Cornbread Casserole

Today was the 3rd and final day of pulled pork.  The first day we started with the usual BBQ pulled pork buns with coleslaw.  The next day I made quiche and then quesadillas for dinner.  Today would be this.  We can't get this cornbread mix here.


I bought three boxes while I was in Palm Springs for like eighty cents each and brought them home.  I made this recipe once by Paula Deen as a side dish.  I thought I'd make it again but pour it over the pulled pork like a "Shepherd's Pie".  I remembered it was a little sweet for my tastes, so I added a few good shakes of sriracha to the mix this time.

I stirred in some "Fresh is Best" salsa (about a cup) with the pulled pork and a few more good shakes of sriracha sauce.  I really wanted to put a fresh jalapeno in it but had none in the fridge.  I greased a 13" x 9" baking dish with "Pam" and spread the pulled pork mixture in it.


I poured the corn blend over it.  Along with the sriracha, I had incorporated about a cup of grated cheddar and some freshly cracked pepper into it.


I topped it with another cup of cheddar and then I baked at 350°F for about an hour.


This smelled really good while in the oven.  I let it rest for 15 minutes when it came out.


This was "okay".  I don't think I'm a fan of cornbread, or at least out of a box called Jiffy.  Even though I doused more hot sauce on it, it still seemed too sweet to me.  I wouldn't make this version of this dish again and I definitely won't make that corn casserole recipe by Paula Deen again either.  I gave it two tries.


No comments:

Post a Comment