Sunday, March 13, 2016

Salmon Cakes

I made some Sockeye salmon steaks the night before and I really wasn't thrilled with them, so much so, that I didn't eat them past a couple of bites.  I ended up just taking all the salmon off the skin and bones and put it into a bowl for another use for another time. What I learned from this is not to ever buy "Previously Frozen" Sockeye salmon ever again...

Today, I saw I still had some mashed potatoes left from another night so decided to make salmon cakes for lunch.  My dad used to make these for us when I was a kid and it was one of my all time favorite dishes he did.  I'm always playing with this recipe (use canned sockeye salmon too) and have more success on some tries than others.  My dad never breaded them.  The staple in this is the mashed potatoes though.  Today I used:
  • 2 cups of cooked salmon, broken into pieces
  • 1 cup of mashed potatoes
  • 2 large green onions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 cup of egg whites
  • 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
  • Freshly cracked pepper and kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup Cornflake crumbs
  • 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning mixed into the crumbs
I mixed everything together except the crumbs and then put it back in the fridge for an hour to set.  


I scooped the mixture into a greased (Pam) ramekin and then dumped it into the crumb mixture.  


I had my non-stick pan preheating with avocado oil on the stove.  I moved the crumbed patties to the fry pan (there was lots of crumbs leftover, I could have used less).  The last patty was huge as there wasn't enough for two so I made one large one for my lunch tomorrow.


I always serve mine with ketchup.  I liked it as a kid and still like it now.  Today, I did add a drizzle of sriracha sauce too.  The taste was vastly improved over dinner last night!  As always, this is comforting food to me.  Great lunch when being bitchy on "DST Spring Forward" day.  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment