Monday, March 14, 2016

Kale, Sausage & Navy Bean Soup

For my soup tonight I used these ingredients:

  • 1 bunch of organic kale, stems removed and chopped
  • 1 pack Jamie Oliver Sun-Dried Tomato and Roast Onion Pork Sausages (400 grams)
  • 1 pack Jamie Oliver  Herb and Garlic Pork Sausages (400 grams)
  • 1 large sweet onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup of white wine
  • 1 fresh sprig of Rosemary, stripped from stem
  • 1 bunch of thyme, tied with twine
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 boxes of Kirkland organic no-salt chicken broth
  • 1 large can (798 ml) Eden organic navy beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 small carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 1 Parmesan cheese rind 
  • Shaved Parmesan cheese
  • 1 pinch of red chili flakes 
  • Freshly cracked pepper and kosher salt
  • Freshly cracked Trader Joe's "Everyday Seasoning"
You can get these sausages at Safeway/Sobey's.  I like them, they taste good and they're certified humane with no preservatives.  I started by putting these under the broiler until cooked and poured off the fat.  I sliced them into rounds once they cooled down.


Next, I chopped everything that needed it and got the herbs ready.  I forgot to take pictures of everything after the carrots.


I sauteed the onion, chili flakes and garlic and then poured in the wine and cooked it till it was all reduced.


Then everything else went in except for the shaved Parmesan.


I simmered it for about a half hour and fished out the thyme bundle, Parm rind and bay leaves.  I checked seasoning, adjusted it and served.  I garnished with the shaved Parm.  I ate as is, but my son got some fresh baked (warm when I picked it up) Pane Rustico bread with his, buttered.


Wow, wow, wow, this was amazingly delicious!!!  It might not look like much in the picture, but trust me... I had two bowls, and my son who is a "bread-aholic", didn't even touch it until his bowl was gone.  Everything worked splendidly together.  Happy tummies tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment