Friday, March 4, 2016

Koto Kapama - Chicken Stewed in Garlic and Cinnamon

I was up late watching a repeat show on Food Network and saw chef Cat Cora making this dish.  While she was my least favorite Iron Chef (I always hoped she'd lose), I did like the sounds of this recipe.  It seemed simple enough and I like dishes that have few ingredients but lots of flavor so I gave it a whirl.

I did a couple of small changes.  I used Kirkland Organic No Salt chicken broth in place of the 2 cups of water in the recipe.  I added a cinnamon stick and about a tablespoon of Herbes de Provence to the sauce as well.  I also used bone-in, skin on, chicken thighs (8).  The only cheese I had in the house that was even close to Mizithra was Feta or Parmesan.  My son loves Feta so I used that in place of it.

I dried the thighs with paper towels and then sprinkled them with the cinnamon, salt and pepper.  I then chopped an onion.  I only had one in the house but it was large, but not 4 cups as the recipe asked for.  I minced the garlic next.  I browned the chicken.  I did it in two batches of four.  I only put in one tablespoon of olive oil but the chicken made more fat as it rendered and did splatter everywhere.


Then I sauteed the onions and garlic and deglazed the pan with white wine and stirred until it was simmered out.  I added in the broth, the tomato paste, 2 cloves of garlic, cinnamon stick and herbs.  I stirred until well mixed.  I seasoned with S&P and put all the chicken back in.  I covered and simmered it for an hour.

While the chicken was simmering, I boiled some egg noodles and tossed with butter.  I put the chicken and sauce over and crumbled some Feta over top.



I found this tasted really good and flavorful although I couldn't be exact with all the "notes" because my taste/smell was still "muted" from being sick.  I can't comment with confidence.  My son said it was delicious and would love to have it again.  He also said the cinnamon was great and smelled wonderful while cooking.  I will have to try it another time when everything is working properly on me...  :)

Update May 8, 2016:

I made this again today and I'm happy to say I'm not sick so had full taste and smell capabilities.  I served it over Organic Tru Roots Ancient Grain Blend which I think is fabulous stuff that I buy at Costco.  This was a mix of White Quinoa, Millet, Red Quinoa and Buckwheat.  Otherwise I made the dish exactly as I did last time.


I didn't love this...Meh...I'm not sure if I will make it again...my son said he thought it was just as good but reminded me that he loves cinnamon.  I like cinnamon too, this just wasn't what I was expecting with my taste buds working.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment