Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Chicken Kiev

I stumbled across this recipe on the weekend and decided to give it a whirl, though I did my own thing with it.  It looked relatively easy for the weeknight.  I would serve with some salad and a baguette to sop up that sauce.  Normally my grocery store always has boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale but not this week.  They did have bone in breasts on sale so I bought 4 of those and decided I'd make them boneless and skinless myself.  I cut down along the bone, removed the tendons and the skin.



I saved myself about $8 by doing it myself!

When done, I pounded the chicken with a mallet.  I like this task and never mind doing it.  I put each piece between 2 sheets of wax paper (I've had wax paper in my cupboard for about 20 years now, and it's the only thing I use it for).  I used a fresh sheet of paper for each breast, then layered them on a plate with paper towels to dry them.  I decided since I smashed the hell out of mine (a little too much) that I wasn't going to cut them in half.  I would make just 4 pieces and figured the butter had a better chance of staying inside too.  My son even asked me if I had a bad day at work when he heard me going at the pounding.  😏I also thought I'd tie them.  I struggled with the toothpick thought so cut up kitchen twine, 3 pieces per breast.

I preheated the oven to 400°F.  I got the herbs ready.  I easily doubled what the recipe said as I like lots of herbs.  I minced one clove of garlic for each breast.  I seasoned with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper first.


I layered with herbs.  Then I put 3 small pats of unsalted butter in each breast.


I tucked, rolled and tied, though it was hard because of my bashing.


I seasoned some flour with some S&P and Herbes de Provence.  I shook the the breasts with it in a plastic bag.  Geez, one of them, I shook the butter, string and herbs right off!  I calmed that action down.  I put them on a rack in the fridge so they could set, like the recipe said for a half hour.  I let them come to room temperature and then heated the olive oil in a saute pan on medium high.  I wanted a quick sear.


I browned them - each side.  When done, I poured the wine in and threw a sprig of thyme in.  I put this in the oven for 15 minutes.  I let the breasts rest while I made the sauce.  I took out the thyme, brought the mixture to a boil  and reduced it slightly.  I squeezed half a lemon in and added another pat of butter.  I seasoned with S&P again.

I cut the strings off the breasts, then I plated.  I poured the sauce over the chicken.  I garnished with more herbs and a lemon wedge.


This was good...the chicken was tender - the butter kept it nice and moist.  However, I couldn't get over the beating I did to it.  I'd like to try again.  That being said, everything was very flavorful, lots of garlic notes and herbs.  That's a great combo.  The salad was some "Southwestern" do-thingy from Costco.  It was fine though I wouldn't buy it again.  The baguette was perfect, especially dipped in the pan sauce.  Butter, butter, butter...and badly beaten battered chicken...

No comments:

Post a Comment