Monday, April 10, 2017

Mushroom & Eggplant Sloppy Joes

My grocery store had my favorite potato buns in stock and on sale, so I thought I would try this recipe.  I usually make sliders but thought this would be healthier.  I saw it on "The Chew" over the weekend and it looked really yummy.


When I watched the show, he started the eggplant first, not like the recipe says - putting it all together, so I did what he did.



One of my favorite chefs and cookbook said to forget other peelers and just get a "Y" shaped one, and I now agree.  Anyway, I peeled it and then chopped it in small dice.

I added the onion, garlic and eggplant to a non-stick pan with some extra virgin olive oil to begin and sauteed until just soft.


Then I added in the mushrooms and red pepper.  I forgot the jalapeno today!  😞  I subbed with some crushed chili flakes instead though I really wanted the jalapeno.


I stirred until the veggies were brown.

I had to buy a single beer for this today.  It cost me $4 but it was cold and I finished it.  I can't even remember the last time I had a beer - long, long time ago though.  I used a cup of beer rather than the 1/2 cup it said.  It was a "tall boy" so I had lots of it and is why I used more.

When the veggies were ready, I scooped the pile over and added the tomato paste and paprika and stir-fried that for about a minute.  "The Chew" show taught me that you're always supposed to cook out tomato paste first.  I'm generally not a fan of smoked paprika, but because it was in the recipe, I tried it.  I used a scant tablespoon.  Then the beer and crushed tomatoes (low sodium) went in with the Worcestershire sauce (Michael Symon said his wife buys a vegan version, I didn't care and used my Lea & Perrins) and brown sugar.  I seasoned again with S&P and then let is simmer until cooked down by a third, 35 minutes.  It looked just like hamburger!


I warmed the buns and served.


This was pretty freaking good!  I wasn't crazy about the smoked paprika but I could live with it since I put a good dose of the chilies in.  It was spicy, maybe just a tad too spicy - I could have eased up on the chili.  I think I put in more because it was veggies.  I only used half the eggplant because the recipe said 2 cups, but I wished I used it all - that was awesome and I love mushrooms so that goes without saying.  I can't say enough about potato buns, they are just heavenly.  This is a keeper, well for me, anyway.  My son didn't think so, he said he'll take the meat sloppy joes.  Can't win 'em all...

No comments:

Post a Comment