Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Anson Mills Rustic Polenta Integrale With Mushrooms and Soy Sauce

I've been planning to make Mushroom Risotto in my "Instant Pot", but haven't got to it yet.  When I saw this recipe, I knew I would make it first before the risotto.  I have Anson Mills polenta in the freezer and have been deciding on a worthy recipe for it.  This was it.  I actually have a bunch of recipes I'm planning to make, waiting for me to get to, but when I saw this, it became #1 on my  list.  I followed the website directions on my polenta for this meal.  I already knew that the *star* of this dish was going to be the polenta.



Trust me on Anson Mills products.  They are SUPERB!  I get them delivered to my co-worker's P.O.Box in the U.S.  It is a must have for me...

    FOR THE POLENTA:
    • 2 cups minus 3 tablespoons whole milk
    • 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    • 1 ¾ cups polenta or cornmeal
    • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, or to taste
    • 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan, or to taste

      FOR THE MUSHROOMS:
      • ½ ounce dried porcini mushrooms
      • 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pats, divided
      • 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
      • 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, wild or cultivated, sliced thin
      • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
      • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
      • 1 tablespoon heavy cream
      • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
      • Freshly ground black pepper

      I had some dried porcinis in the cupboard and I have a grocery store that sells pretty good mushrooms - I got some Cremini, Oyster, White, and Shiitake - all organic.

      The polenta took an hour to make.  I find it therapeutic when making grits, or a dark roux or things like this that take time.  I grated some Parmesan Reggiano - finely, before I started.


      And yes, I grated more than called for, lots more...  In fact, I grated a little Pecorino Romano too and mixed it together.  Romano is easier to grate too.

      I minced 2 cloves of garlic.  I chopped the mushrooms (which was double or more of what the recipe called for).


      I removed the stems from the shiitakes.  I soaked the dried porcini in boiling water and let it sit for a half hour.



      Then I chopped it up and reserved the broth.  It was at this point that I realized I had no fresh thyme!  I usually always have it, so that was bit dismaying.  I used some fresh chives and a good teaspoon of Trader Joe's no salt "21 seasoning salute" instead.


      I started the polenta.


      It is pretty much constant stirring so I was happy that my "absent sous chef" son was home and helped.  We took turns and it helped me immensely.

      I sauteed the garlic in two tablespoons of unsalted butter and then added the mushrooms.


      The mushroom sauce turned out beautifully!  The seasoning was perfect and it was delicious.


      I left it on very low heat while the polenta finished cooking.


      And then finally, it was time to serve.



      You know, this is probably one of the best dishes I have ever made.  We both loved it.  My son isn't even a big fan of mushrooms but devoured his bowl.  He said that the polenta would have tasted good with anything but that the mushrooms were a perfect accompaniment.  He said he was sad when his bowl was empty.  I can't say enough about Anson Mills products.  Everyone should experience them...

      No comments:

      Post a Comment