Saturday, March 18, 2017

Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

I thought I'd try a new "meatloaf" recipe for one of my favorite comfort foods.  I saw this on Cook's Country on PBS so will post the recipe here since you have to register to see it online.  I didn't use Bulls-Eye as it is my least favorite.  I just used some Paul Newman stuff that was on sale.  I also used a natural smoked bacon with no preservatives.  I used the full 375 gram pack.


I started the prep.  I made the glaze first.  I only had Dijon mustard so used that.  


Then I got the loaf pan ready.  But oops, I forgot to spray it with "Pam".  (In the end, it didn't need the spray.  It fell out easily and the wrap came off with no problem).  I lined with plastic wrap and laid in the bacon.  


I crushed the crackers (19 - what an odd number for a recipe) in a bag with a mallet.  

I chopped the leftover bacon and diced the onion.  


I sauteed this and added in the garlic.  I realized I should have printed the recipe because I wasn't doing a good job of following it exactly - the bacon was supposed to be ground up in the food processor.  Anyway, I set this aside to cool.

I got the liquids ready next in a bowl.  I purposely only used 2 eggs and not the extra yolk.  I mixed it all up as per the directions above.  I glazed the bacon and dumped in the loaf. 


I realized then, that Ugh, I forgot the parsley in the mixture which made me sad, as I think that was a necessary ingredient.  I made the foil piece and I really loved this idea.  What a good idea to lift the meatloaf out after.  My meatloaf was bigger too.  It would take more than an hour to cook.  I flipped it over onto the rack and wow, it looked perfect!  


Into the oven it went.

For the sides I had these "Chilean Splash Creamer Potatoes" with garlic infused olive oil and Rosemary herb seasoning.  


The grocery store staff by my office are very good to me.  I get chocolates at Christmas and the produce manager often gives me free items as I shop there daily.  The butchers will order whatever meat/fish I need and will cut it for me.  The long time staff and I have good, friendly relationships.  They didn't have Yukon gold potatoes when I asked, and the produce manager gave me these and told me they were "on the house".  They were like $7 so I thought that was really nice of him.  Um, okay, I think I'm rambling.  I like Yukon gold mashed taters with my meatloaf usually...


My son said they had a new "Southwest Salad" at Costco, so he brought that home and we had it as the veggie for this dinner.  (I wasn't as excited about this salad as he was).  

For the last 15 minutes of oven time, I took the meatloaf out and brushed it with the rest of the glaze.  



I didn't put it under the broiler, just back in the oven.  I must say that the house smelled so good.


Lifting the meatloaf off the rack with the foil piece was wonderful.  I let it rest, while I assembled the sides on the plates, then I served.


This was enjoyable.  I really like the way the recipe was for cooking the meatloaf on a rack and may adopt that way for the future.  The potatoes were good, though I can add my own olive oil and spice mixture and save $3.50 if I was buying.  My son went for seconds of the meatloaf and is having it on a bun in his lunch tomorrow.  He really liked this meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment