Monday, March 13, 2017

BBQ Chicken Pineapple Pull-Apart Sliders

We can't get "King's Hawaiian Buns" here, not anywhere, at least not to my knowledge.  When I saw this recipe on "The Chew", I decided I had to ask my co-worker who shops in the States for me, if she could find them.  And she did...



I wanted to make them.  It's been a long time since we visited Hawaii, and probably four more years now before we will again!  We've spent 6 weeks total in Honolulu and I remember seeing these every time we shopped there...

My son is not a fan of pineapple, even when we are in Hawaii - not even after visiting the Dole factory, lol, so I would have to try and sneak this one by him... And, these are sweeter than anything I would normally eat - so this would be a rare recipe of my usual things I would make.  There's a high sugar content in this meal.  All that being said, it was perfect for an easy weeknight dinner and comfort food for a rainy Monday!  My son said he would try ONE slider with pineapple but to leave it off the rest of his.  Needless to say, I didn't need the 2 cans of pineapple the recipe called for.  I used about half a can.

My son brought home a rotisserie chicken from Costco, so I shredded the meat off it.


Bones/skin went into the freezer for stock.  I mixed it with the BBQ sauce.


I added some cayenne pepper in the sauce, just to balance some of the sweetness with some heat.

I buttered a 13" x 9" baking dish with unsalted butter.  I sliced the Hawaiian buns in half and put the bottom part into the pan.


I added the chicken next.  I drained the pineapple and squished out the juice through a strainer.  I put a little layer of cheese down, then the pineapple.  Oopsy, I put a little too much on for my son.  😉


Then the remaining cheese.


I put the tops of the buns on and then brushed with some melted butter (I only needed less than a tablespoon for all) and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.


It went into the oven for 20 minutes.  I served my son's with some homemade oven fries. I felt guilty for eating this meal with such unhealthy ingredients, so I just had a couple of sliders.


They were good, but I didn't love them.  Maybe it needed some thick fried ham on it too?  I did like the buns though, even as sweet as they were.  Just not my type of meal, but it was worth a try.  I have another pack in the freezer, so I'll spin another round of sliders one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment