Thursday, March 30, 2017

Country Captain Chicken

Got a good deal on a whole chicken and then didn't want to cook it, wasn't feeling it.  Went through a bunch of recipes and had to decide on something tonight as the chicken has been sitting in the fridge for 2 days now.  I went for a "Low Country" Southern recipe.  I saw this recipe on a cooking show once and I remember it looked really good.  The other good thing was that I got my delivery from Anson Mills today, so thought the rice below would be ideal for this dish!



I had all of the ingredients in the house, except bell peppers and celery, so picked them up while at work today.  What I used:

  • 1 (4-lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces 
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme 
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 
  • 1⁄4 cup avocado oil 
  • 6 slices thick bacon, chopped 
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped 
  • 3 ribs celery, chopped 
  • 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped 
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped 
  • 1 (28-oz.) can San Marzano D.O.P. whole peeled tomatoes, chopped, (3/4 cup tomato juice reserved) 
  • 3 tablespoons curry powder
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 
  • 1⁄3 cup currants, plus more for garnish 
  • 2 bay leaves 
  • 2 cups steamed rice, for serving 
  • Peanuts, for garnish 

I chopped my chicken into 9 pieces first and then seasoned it.


I heated my dutch oven and put in a couple of good swirls of avocado oil.  I browned the chicken in 2 batches and moved it to a plate when done.


It browned nicely - I think because I didn't touch it and only flipped it once.


I drained all the chicken fat/oil off and browned the bacon next and put it aside.


I drained all the bacon fat off too (I know, sacrilege) and used another swig of avocado oil in the pan for the veggies.  Then, lastly, I chopped the veggies.


I got out a can of tomatoes.  I cooked the veg until soft, then added the tomatoes, squishing them up one by one with my hand while I put them in.  I simmered for 10 minutes and then added the curry, bay leaves, butter, currants and S&P.  For the curry, I used 2 tablespoons of Madras and 1 of Garam Masala.  My eyes popped out when I saw I had to simmer the sauce for a half hour before it all went in the oven.  I expected we were having dinner just before bed tonight, lol.  I covered and set the timer for 30 minutes.  I had a taste, it was very good - loved the curry taste.

I put the chicken in after dipping each piece in the sauce, then covered and put it in the oven for an hour and 15 minutes.


Half way through that time, I started the rice as per directions on web site.  I have to say that the food smelled delicious while in the oven, it literally was making me drool.  And then it was ready...


I plated.  I started with the rice.


Then, I added the chicken, sauce and garnishes of currants, peanuts and the bacon....BUT, for the first time ever, I forgot to take the picture of it!  I guess because it was 9:30 at night and I was so tired and hungry?  Yeah - that excuse works for me.  So, the rice was beautiful - very "al dente" and flavorful.  The chicken was tender and the sauce was perfectly spiced.  The currants were a nice, sweet addition that brought balance.  I would make this again, but start "on time" and if I do, I will post the plated final dish.  Sorry.  ๐Ÿ˜ƒ  I did such a nice job too, even cleaned the messy sauce splash and placed the chicken nicely on the rice, and, sigh....  Lastly, I couldn't find one bay leaf either, and I'm guessing it's in my friend's lunch I made for him tomorrow...which I did take a picture of...though it wasn't cleaned up and there were no garnishes as I put those in a separate container for him.


EDIT:  March 14, 2022:

I made this in a new cast iron enamel pan that suited the cooking of this dish.  Before it went in the oven is below.  The picture after is it being plated with garnishes.  Also dinner was served on time this evening.  ๐Ÿ˜‰


No comments:

Post a Comment