Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Creamy White Chicken Chili

This just looked yummy when I saw it, so I decided I had to make it.  Perfect for a week night, meaning easy and quick, besides the chopping, but I'm used to doing it on auto-pilot now.  I also still had some tostadas to use up, so this would be perfect for that.  I also had one of my favorite Trader Joe products which is the Hatch Valley Salsa, so a jar of that was going in too.  In the recipe, hers looked kinda like soup, so I decided I would puree some of the beans to make it more thicker and maybe lessen some of the broth if I had to.  I had the exact same canned chilies as she did too, and would see if I needed one or two after I put the salsa in.  I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs because they were on sale.  I had a yellow/orange pepper in the fridge so diced that up.  And, cilantro was not in the recipe, but I added that in and for garnish as well.  I sliced some green onions and lime wedges for garnish as well.  I also bought some zero fat sour cream and I used "Better than Bouillon" 50% reduced sodium chicken base for the broth.  I made 2 cups.


I diced the onion and yellow/orange pepper first followed by mincing the garlic (5 cloves).


I cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces.  I pureed a cup of beans with a half cup of broth to make a paste.


I did this with my immersion hand blender.  I rinsed the beans really well first.  It came out nice and creamy.


I chopped some cilantro.  Then I was ready to cook.

I sauteed the veggies, followed by the chicken then added everything else in.


I only used one can of diced chilies.  There seemed to be enough in the Hatch chili.  I only used a 1/2 cup more of broth.  It tasted really delicious.  I was happy.  In fact, every taste I had while it was simmering, when stirring it, was damn good!  I got my absent sous chef son to grate some Monterey Jack cheese - keeping with the white theme.  I made him some Pillsbury crescent rolls too, but I was going to have a tostada with mine.

I let it simmer for half an hour.  I removed from the heat and added in a half cup of cheese, 1/2 cup of "half & half" cream and the sour cream.



I plated.  I put a little cheese on top first.


The I garnished with the scallions and cilantro.


I don't even know what to say - I've never had anything like this before and it blew my mind, and my son's too.  He said any time I want to make it again he's standing in line for it.  Wow - sooooo interesting and palatable!  Not like the "usual" chili, by any means...

No comments:

Post a Comment